Thursday, May 10, 2012

New

Once again, I've decided to branch out and do something other than flowers. As much as I love drawing and painting them, it's fun and necessary to do something different once in a while ;) 

I saw this little girl playing in a sandbox at a restaurant I was at last week. It was a gorgeous, sunny day and we were sitting outside having a drink. She just came right over and jumped in the sandbox and had a great time playing there by herself. She found an old paper cup on the ground and some pieces of cardboard and was using them for her sand adventures. I couldn't resist taking a few photos. She was so cute and I was very interested in the bright sunlight of the scene. I don't draw or paint people very much, just a few self portraits.  I'm fairly happy with the results, but I did struggle with her hair, because I have no idea how to paint blonde hair! I just don't know what colors to use, so it was trial and error. Skin tones are also a bit baffling to me. And the sand...yes this was a tricky painting ;) But it's a learning experience. I may do this painting again in larger format at some point, I really love how she's sitting and the bright sunlight against the shadows on her body, clothing and hair.


My other goal for this painting was to do it in a loose style, as opposed to my usual tight and controlled style. 

Here are some sketches I did before hand, trying to figure out which pose I liked best.


The final result is Sunny Sandbox, 4"x6". Watercolor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment